Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Oak Tree

A mighty wind blew night and day.
It stole the oak tree's leaves away.
Then snapped its boughs and pulled its bark
until the oak was tired and stark.
But still the oak tree held its ground
while other trees fell all around.
The weary wind gave up and spoke,
"How can you still be standing, Oak?"
The oak tree said, "I know that you
can break each branch of mine in two,
carry every leaf away,
shake my limbs, and make me sway.
But I have roots stretched in the earth,
growing stronger since my birth.
You'll never touch them, for you see,
they are the deepest part of me.
Until today, I wasn't sure
of just how much I could endure.
But now I've found, with thanks to you,
I'm stronger than I ever knew."

(from a Hallmark card)
************

And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper. Psalm 1:3

************
My internet connection has been down a few days, and I've only a few 'good' days before Chemo again to get laundry, etc. caught up. Thank you all for checking in. Love you all.

Janiver

7 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

What a beautiful, inspiring post. How true that many times it is not what others see that reveals our character, but it is how deep our roots are (in Him). Love you, and continue praying.

Jana Allard said...

Thanks for sharing such a great poem and glad your computer is "up" again. I continue to pray for you and that the "good days" increase.

Unknown said...

Sister Brown, what a beautiful poem and scripture reference. Yes, you are a mighty tree, and your beautiful roots are dug deep.

Wish I could be physically closer during these trying days. I am praying and believing God.

Steven Saiz said...

Thanks for sharing the great poem. Our prayers continually go out to you!

Laquita Mullings said...

My Dear Friend,
Just wanted to send encouraging words and thoughts your way this morning. Hope today is one of your good days.

Love you much.

Carol Connell said...

Hi Sister Brown,

Just stopping by to let you know you are still in our prayers. We love you and your family. That poem that you shared was great.

Love,
The Connells

Tredway Tales said...

You are in our thoughts and prayers. Remember that an oak tree grows from a small acorn. Though our faith seems small, it grows with each storm and trial. You are becoming a mighty oak tree spiritually and a great inspiration to many of us. Keep holding on to Jesus.