Thursday, March 13, 2008

Memories of Daddy

Today is my Daddy's birthday. Born March 13, 1925 in Arkansas to a poor farming family. The Depression was well entrenched long before the Stock Market felt its blow in 1929. He told me years later, "Jan, we didn't have enough to eat. I was hungry most of the time." Tough times for a kid. In 1943 his family moved to California to work in the fields and factories. He met and married my mother a few years later. And the rest, as they say, is history. He was a wonderful provider, father, faithful saint, and conscientious citizen. I still miss him. Every time I see Folgers coffee, I think of him making coffee, frying bacon and eggs, starting another day. "Another day another dollar", was a favorite saying of his. He died in 2004 of mesothelioma (asbestos cancer). Thank you, Daddy, for loving me, providing a stable home, free from fear. A real treasure in this century.

*****************************

More GREAT news. Bethany has been invited to join Phi Kappa Phi, the honor society for four year colleges, that represents the top 10% of students in all fields of study. We are proud of her accomplishments.

*****************************
I go to Kaiser tomorrow morning and continue on my journey.

Thanks to all of you,

Janiver

14 comments:

Jana Allard said...

My dad died in 1999 and I still miss him every day. Maybe your dad new my mom when they were little. LOL My mom was born November 19, 1925 and raised in Alma, Arkansas. Her family was very poor, too.

Congrats on Bethany's achievements. That is awesome!

Hope everything goes well with Kaiser tomorrow. I'll be praying for you.

Unknown said...

I'm praying for you today.

Congratulations to Bethany. Not surprised. She is a charmer, and obviously as smart as she is beautiful.

Love you all dearly.

shirley Buxton
www.shirleybuxton.wordpress.com

Karen J. Hopper said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen J. Hopper said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen J. Hopper said...

It's wonderful to have pleasant memories of our dads. I love hearing about our heritage. Gives a sense of appreciation of their sacrifice and love.

Congrats to Bethany. What an honor, not only to her but her parents too.

Praying for you. With love.

Sarah Brown said...

I can't believe its been that long since Grandpa has passed! I don't remember too much about him and I wish I could have known him better but I miss the times I was with him like when he would say that my hair was purple! That would drive me crazy!! Its RED! Haha

I'm so proud of my sister! She's doing such a great job! I hope I can be half as great as she's going to be!

I'm praying for you today, mum! Through this hard time I know that he is right with us walking each step that we take. I love you so much and I will see you tomorrow!

Your favorite red headed daughter,

Sarah

Unknown said...

Praying for you, and believing with you.

Teresa Bohannon

Unknown said...

Praying......

shirley

Laquita Mullings said...

I loved reading some of your family history. Our parents are such a big part of how we think and who we are today. Thank God for Godly, committed parents.

I Hope all went well at your Dr. appointment on Friday.

Congratulation to Bethany and Stan. Keep up the good work and make you Mama proud.

Love to you all. You're continually in our thoughts and prayers.

Love
Laquita Mullings

Unknown said...

Thinking of you today and praying for your comfort and your healing.

Shirley Buxton
www.shirleybuxton.wordpress.com

Carol Connell said...

Hi Sister Brown,

Our family and church continue to pray for you. We love you and your family very much.

The Connell Clan

Unknown said...

I'm praying for you, Sister Brown, and so sorry you are not feeling well. (Got late news from Sarah's site.)

You will feel better. I truly care about you, and am believing for your recovery.

Shirley Buxton
www.shirleybuxton.wordpress.com

Unknown said...

Thinking of you at this moment and praying for you.

Love,

Shirley Buxton
www.shirleybuxton.wordpress.com

Karen J. Hopper said...

You are in thoughts and prayers this day.